On one hand, this, not ACL nor SXSW itself, but this, is my favorite time of year living in Austin. The time of year when the panel selections for the next SXSW have been opened to the public; revealing the thoughts, trends, and ideas bubbling around the heads of the brilliant and creative minds of our startup community. Of course, RISE week in Austin, the week when dozens of Austin’s brightest share their knowledge with the community, but it’s panel pimper week that takes the cake.
All in good fun, it feels a little like the sentiment shared in the Lord of the Rings meme, as panelists share their proposed panels via social media. The onslaught of proposed panels floods Facebook like a tide of orcs washing against Minas Tirith. Joking aside, the 2014 season has begun; here are a few that caught my attention:
- Noah Zandan sharing How to Spot a Liar…. with Data
- Beyond the Elevator, Know your Purpose via Thom Singer
- Erica Douglass and Parnell Springmeyer: Going From a Terrible Idea to a Real Business
- Jonathan Van discussing Young Guns & Science Commercialization
- Tarzan Sharif and Andrew Sanderson on Innovation Commerce: Intellectual Property 2.0
- Tina Cannon on the Top Mistakes Made by Entrepreneurs
- Jose Briones exploring Frugal Innovation: Simple Designs To Improve Lives
- Chris Perez and Rachel Hofstetter: The Human Side of Digital
- Dmitri Iourovitski and How Collaboration Makes the Impossible, Possible
- Too Digital for Our Own Good: a Case for Analog from Oscar Llarena
- Gini Dietrich and Scott Baradell asking Will PR Win the Agency Wars Despite Itself?
- Big Health Can Learn Plenty From Start Ups says Joe Doyle
- Bill Leake’s Sex, Drugs, and Google
- Susan Strausberg, Fred Trotter, Aman Bhandari, and Michael Atkin: How Open is Open Data?
- Susan Lahey’s Austin Startup Media Pitch Competition
- Claire England (behind RISE) tackles what it’s like getting Funded in Austin
- And as a father of 2 girls: Tracey Welson-Rossman on Developers -The Missing Link for Girls In Tech
Have a favorite I’ve missed? Let me know in the comments!