A simple list of five.
The FIVE groups of people to start networking before you start anything…
- Toward investors. Start now. Getting know them before you need them. Get to know those who will likely support what you’re doing. They’re advisors so they can invest, not banks that are just there for capital.
- With potential partners. The easiest way to close that deal when you need it is when you’ve already established the need for it.
- Among competitors. Don’t be naive that you don’t have competitors. Don’t be narrow enough to neglect that you don’t actually create new opportunities WITH competitors. This isn’t war, it’s business. Get to know them and support one another if you can. You’re both in it to find success; perhaps that’s together.
- Within the industry. The worst thing you can do is a Press Release and expect anyone cares. Get to know and start conversations with conference managers, journalists, bloggers, and the like, now.
- 500 random people. Interview every single one. Learn not what to do, learn what not to do. You learn what to do from Marketing.
Now you’re ready to start a business. That’s a LinkedIn logo on purpose, I’ll help you get started; you have to take the first step.